Paisley Town Hall

Glasgow, United Kingdom

Paisley Town Hall

8.2

Paisley Town Hall is a public hall in Abbey Close, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. The building, which is being converted into a centre for performing arts, is a Category A listed building.

In the mid-19th century the administrative centre of the town was the old tolbooth at the junction of High Street and Moss Street which was built in 1491, rebuilt in 1610, rebuilt again in 1757 and then demolished in 1821. The administrative centre then moved to the municipal buildings, which contained council chambers and offices, further to the east along the High Street. However, civic leaders needed a public hall in which to hold concerts and other public events and George Aitken Clark, one of the members of the Clark family, owners of the Anchor Mills, left money in his will for this purpose. The site they selected, just to the south of the municipal buildings, had previously been occupied by a dye works.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Paisley Town Hall

View more options near Paisley Town Hall

Nearby Tours & Activities