Rouken Glen Park

Glasgow, United Kingdom

Rouken Glen Park

9.2

Rouken Glen Park is a public park in East Renfrewshire, to the south-west of Glasgow, Scotland.

The lands of Rouken Glen Park originally belonged to the Scottish Crown, and then to the Earl of Eglinton, presented to Hugh Montgomerie, 1st Earl of Eglinton on the marriage of his son in the year 1530 by James V. It takes its name from the old Rock End Meal Mill in the glen, which dates back to the early 16th century. The remains of the meal mill can be seen at the foot of the waterfall, deep within the foliage and rhododendron bushes high on the slope away from the pathway. Amongst the park's owners were Walter Crum of Thornliebank and Archibald Cameron Corbett, M.P. for Tradeston, Glasgow (later Lord Rowallan) who gifted the estate and mansion house to the citizens of Glasgow. It was officially opened on 25 May 1906 and leased in June 1984 to the then Eastwood District Council, whose area was later included by the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994 into East Renfrewshire in April 1996.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Rouken Glen Park

View more options near Rouken Glen Park

Nearby Tours & Activities