The Egyptian Halls

Glasgow, United Kingdom

The Egyptian Halls

The Egyptian Halls is a category A listed building at 84–100 Union Street, Glasgow, Scotland. It was built between 1870–72 and designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson. Other than some retailers on the ground floor, the building is currently unoccupied. Despite several attempts at restoration, it remains in a parlous state and was under threat of demolition in 2011. Planning approval and listed building consent has since been given for a scheme which has secured funding for conversion to a 114-bed four-star hotel. As of 20 February 2013, subsidy was still being sought for work to the ground floor.

Work started on the Egyptian Halls in March 1870 to provide new commercial premises for James Robertson, an iron manufacturer, and was completed in 1872. Built using cast iron and stone, the Egyptian Halls was one of the last major projects of Alexander Thomson. The building broke many of the rules of the time; thick stone columns normally found at ground level were on the top floor. The building is built on four storeys. The ground floor was occupied by shops with fully glazed wide bays. The first floor features eighteen window bays divided by square columns with a flowing scroll capital. On the second floor, shorter couple columns are positioned exactly above the first floor columns, again above these columns is a decorative entablature with a Roman-style decoration. Finally, on the third floor is a plinth with dwarf columns and pseudo-Egyptian lotus flower capitals. Behind these columns is a continuous glazed screen, which is not fixed to these columns. Topping these columns is another entablature with a cornice. This 'attic' room is lit by a series of sloping skylights.



Accommodations near The Egyptian Halls

View more options near The Egyptian Halls0

Nearby Tours & Activities