Holy Cross Cemetery, Halifax

Halifax, Canada

Holy Cross Cemetery, Halifax

Holy Cross Cemetery is a cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, owned and operated by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth. It was constructed in 1843 under the direction of Archbishop William Walsh, on land provided by local authorities. Holy Cross Cemetery replaced the first Catholic cemetery in Halifax, the St. Peter's Cemetery located next to St. Mary's Basilica on Spring Garden Road. Since 1843, some 25,000 persons have been buried at Holy Cross, many of Irish descent, including Canada's fourth Prime Minister, Sir John Sparrow Thompson.


Accommodations near Holy Cross Cemetery, Halifax

View more accommodations near Holy Cross Cemetery, Halifax

Nearby Tours & activities