Hlybokaye, Belarus

Travel to Hlybokaye

Hlybokaye or Glubokoye (Belarusian: Глыбокае, romanized: Hłybokaje, Russian: Глубокое, romanized: Glubokoye, Polish: Głębokie, Lithuanian: Glubokas, Yiddish: גלובאָק‎, romanized: Glubok) is a town in Vitebsk Region, Belarus, the capital of Hlybokaye Raion (Belarusian: Глыбоцкі раён). The city is located on the international road from Polotsk to Vilnius with the historic railway line to Woropajewo (Варапаева) completed in 1932 in the interwar Poland (the town was incorporated in 1940 by the Soviet Union after the 1939 invasion of Poland). It has 18,200 inhabitants as of 2010.

Within the city limits there are two smaller lakes: Kahalnaye (Кагальнае) and Grand (Вялікае) from which the Birchwood river originates (Бярозаўка, Brzozówka in Polish). The first written records about the settlement date back to 1514. During World War II in occupied Poland the town's district of Berezwecz was the location of a massacre of up to 2,000–3,000 Polish prisoners by the Soviet NKVD secret police, and during the Nazi occupation from July 1941 to July 1944 several thousand Jews were murdered. As late as 2009 the remains of more than 20 victims probably shot by NKVD after the takeover of the area from Poland were again discovered in a basement of a local church.



Accommodations in Hlybokaye

There are 3 options for staying in Hlybokaye.
Check out the deals we offer for lodging in Hlybokaye.


Hlybokaye Tours & Activities