Murray Battery

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Murray Battery

Murray Battery was an artillery battery located on Battery Path, beneath Government Hill in Central, Hong Kong. Named after Sir George Murray, it was built in 1841, shortly after the British took possession of Hong Kong, and served to protect the colonial government's headquarters. It was demolished in the 1950s and replaced with the Former Central Government Offices.

During the First Opium War, the British occupied Hong Kong in 1841 and one year later, the territory was ceded to them in the Treaty of Nanking. The new administration chose the site around Battery Path to build its headquarters and defences. The coastal fortification consisted of five coastal artillery positions that overlooked and guarded Victoria Harbour in 1882 (however, due to land reclamation, the site is no longer situated on the coastline). These were removed in the late 19th century, due to the military's relocation and development of artillery batteries in more obscure and outlying areas in Hong Kong Island—namely the Lei Yue Mun Fort built in 1887. Prior to 1856, Murray Battery also marked the limits of the city's street lighting; all roads east of the battery were not illuminated.



Accommodations near Murray Battery

View more options near Murray Battery0

Nearby Tours & Activities