George R. Brown Convention Center

Houston, United States

George R. Brown Convention Center

9

The George R. Brown Convention Center, opened on September 26, 1987, is located on the east side of Downtown Houston, Texas, United States.

The center was named for internationally recognized entrepreneur, engineer, civic leader, philanthropist and Houstonian George Rufus Brown (1898-1983). George and his brother, Herman, turned Brown & Root into the world's largest construction and engineering company. Later, he and investors founded, Texas Eastern Transmission Company, which donated six of the 11 blocks required to build the GRB. The center is owned by the City of Houston and managed by the Houston First Corporation. The facility was completed with a price tag of $104.9 million, requiring 30 months and more than 1,200 workers. The 100-foot (30 m) high red-white-and-blue building replaced the obsolete Albert Thomas Convention Center, which was later redeveloped into the Bayou Place entertainment complex in the downtown Houston Theater District. It is the first convention center in the world to have a permanent Bitcoin ATM.




Accommodations near George R. Brown Convention Center

View more options near George R. Brown Convention Center

Nearby Tours & Activities