Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway

Ingoldmells, United Kingdom

Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway

9.4

The Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway is a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge heritage railway built in 1958 using equipment from the Nocton Potato Estate railway. It was originally located at Humberston, near Cleethorpes, and operated until 1985. The equipment was removed from storage and used to create a new railway at Skegness which opened on 3 May 2009.

The railway was built by a group of railway enthusiasts who wished to preserve the stock and atmosphere of the Lincolnshire area potato railways. The land for the railway was leased from Grimsby Rural District Council and opened on 27 August 1960 using a Motor Rail "Simplex" locomotive and a single open bogie carriage. In 1961, a second Motor Rail locomotive was added, and the railway's first steam locomotive Jurassic arrived. Additional equipment in the form of a passenger coach from the Sand Hutton Light Railway (closed to passengers in 1930) and two vehicles that had formerly run on the Ashover Light Railway were brought to the railway and restored, entering service in 1967 and 1962-3 respectively. Midweek carryings were adversely affected by the 1962 extension of Grimsby-Cleethorpes Transport bus service to serve the Fitties holiday camp, but weekend and Bank Holiday traffic remained strong, and by 1964 the line was carrying 60,000 passengers a year.




Accommodations near Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway

View more options near Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway

Nearby Tours & Activities