Nallı Masjid

Istanbul, Turkey

Nallı Masjid

Nallı Masjid (Turkish: Nallı Mescit), also known as İmam Ali Mescidi or Babıali Mescidi, is a late 19th-century small mosque located at Ankara Street northwest of the historic Sublime Porte building (which is the Istanbul Governor's Office today), at Cağaloğlu quarter of Fatih district of old Istanbul, Turkey.

It was built by İmam Ali Efendi, a relative of Ottoman religious scholar, poet and mystic saint Akshamsaddin (1389–1459) during the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror (reigned 1444–1446, 1451–1481) in the 15th century. Originally, the mosque was situated within the yard of the Sublime Porte Building with one side on Ankara Street. It came to appearance when the traffic on the Ankara Street became limited due to the construction of Marmaray. İmam Ali Efendi's grave is found behind the close Cevdet Pasha Library building. It was turned into a mosque after Grand vizier Hekimoğlu Ali Pasha's (1689–1758) brother Feyzullah Efendi built a minbar. The building burnt down during the Fire of Sublime Porte (Turkish: Bab-ı Ali Yangını) in the 1800s. According to the inscription calligraphed by Mustafa İzzet Efendi, the mosque was rebuilt in 1869. A second inscription by Sami Efendi states its restoration in 1902.



Accommodations near Nallı Masjid

View more options near Nallı Masjid0

Nearby Tours & Activities