Jerez de la Frontera Charterhouse

Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

Jerez de la Frontera Charterhouse

The Charterhouse of Jerez de la Frontera (Spanish: la Cartuja de Jerez de la Frontera) or Charterhouse of Santa María de la Defensión (Spanish: la Cartuja de Santa María de la Defensión; also la Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de la Defensión) is a monastery in Jerez de la Frontera, Cádiz, Spain. Its architecture is of a Late Gothic style, corresponding to the start of construction in the 15th century, with Baroque aspects dating from the 17th century. The building, completed in the 17th century, has been protected by the Spanish government since the mid-19th century under a heritage listing.

The Renaissance entryway, designed by Andrés de Ribera, is of particular interest, as are the Chapel of Santa María, and the small Gothic cloister designed by Juan Martínez Montañés. The choir stalls are by Juan de Oviedo de la Bandera (1565–1625); they were originally made for the Convento-Iglesia de la Merced in Sanlúcar de Barrameda and were transferred to the monastery in 1960. The paintings by Juan de la Roelas currently at the monastery also come from that church. Conversely, the Museo de Cádiz preserves numerous paintings by Francisco Zurbarán that were originally from the monastery.



Accommodations near Jerez de la Frontera Charterhouse

View more options near Jerez de la Frontera Charterhouse0

Nearby Tours & Activities