Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum

Kraków, Poland

Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum

The Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum (Also the Czapski Museum) is a branch of the National Museum of Kraków, 12 Pilsudski Street, Kraków.

Count Emeryk Hutten-Czapski,(born 17 October 1828 in Stankow near Minsk, died 23 July 1896 in Kraków) was a Vice-Governor of St Petersburg and an important collector of books, prints, and numismatics. He built his collection at his family estate in Stankow, today in Belarus. Fearing for the safety of the collection, being close to Russia, he moved the collection to Cracow. In 1894, he purchased a 19th-century palace, on what is today 12 Pilsudski Street, and built an addition to house his collection. He personally catalogued the collection. He died in 1896, before the addition was finished. His wife, Baroness Elzbieta Meyendorff, completed the construction of the addition, and in 1904, as per her husband's request, donated the collection to the city of Cracow. The museum displays the Czapski crest on the outside, along with the inscription on the pediment: "Monumentis Patriae Naufragio Ereptis" (Patriotic Monuments Saved from the Destruction of the Storm).



Accommodations near Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum

View more options near Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum0

Nearby Tours & Activities