New Jewish Cemetery, Kraków

Kraków, Poland

New Jewish Cemetery, Kraków

The New Jewish Cemetery (Polish: Nowy cmentarz żydowski w Krakowie) is a historic necropolis situated on 55 Miodowa Street in Kraków, Poland. Located in the former Jewish neighborhood of Kazimierz, it covers an area of about 4.5 hectares (11 acres). Since 1999, the cemetery is a registered heritage monument. The grounds also feature a well-preserved mortuary.

The New Jewish Cemetery was founded in 1800 on grounds purchased by the Jewish Qahal from the Augustinians. It was enlarged in 1836 with additional land purchased from the monks. Following Poland's return to independence, the New Cemetery became nearly full. From 1932 on, burials were directed to a new plot bought in 1926 by the Qahal along Abrahama Street and the one at nearby Jerozolimska Street, both in the Wola Duchacka neighborhood (now part of Podgórze district). These two other cemeteries formed the site of the Kraków-Płaszów concentration camp during the Holocaust and no longer exist. The Jews from the Kraków Ghetto were sent there.



Accommodations near New Jewish Cemetery, Kraków

View more options near New Jewish Cemetery, Kraków0

Nearby Tours & Activities