The La Plata Museum (Spanish: Museo de la Plata) is a natural history museum in La Plata, Argentina. It is part of the Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo (Natural Sciences School) of the UNLP (National University of La Plata).
The building, 135 meters (443 feet) long, today houses 3 million fossils and relics (including 44,000 botanical items), an amphitheatre, opened in 1992, and a 58,000-volume library, serving over 400 university researchers. Around 400,000 visitors (8% of whom are from outside Argentina) pass through its doors yearly, including a thousand visiting researchers.
Aforapple G | May 2, 2018
The museum is very good and very big. Should need full day to see everything. At least in short time, the paleontology section can be visited and its amazing. Dinosaurs remains and many more preserved animals... So many... Its very good.
Gustavo Romano | Mar 2, 2018
Surrounded by a beautiful park, the museum itself is gorgeous. There are nice food options nearby and a cafe inside, but don't expect anything fancy. Bathrooms inside are very clean. The exibits do need to get updated (here, Pluto is still a planet), and most are in dire need of maintenance. They should hike up the entrance fee from AR$40 to something more in tune with today's prices, and use that extra income to fix those displays.
Scrat Blue | Feb 3, 2018
Incredible building! Breathtaking ornaments and well-kept entrace. Sufficient parking space without any parking fees. Museum entree ticket is very economic (90 AR Pesos/ entree ticket). Plenty to see and experience, especially the archaeological section and encased avians are incredible. Other major expositions include a huge skeleton collection, aquatic life and insect collections, and a local prehistoric mammal collection. Museum is child-friendly and wheelchair-accessible, and pre-arranged guided tours are possible. Indoor cafeteria with snacks and certain warm dishes available. Plenty of restrooms. Whole museum can be observed in about 4 hours. Truly a non-forgettable experience.
Kat Hadzeriga | May 13, 2018
Very cool collection of specimens, the people who work there are also very nice
Leonardo Gonzalez | Feb 2, 2018
Great museum with lots of things to see. Great structure and place.
Husam THR | Jun 23, 2018
Really nice & a very big museum. A must visit place in La Plata
Endrina Bravo | Jul 21, 2018
Great museum. It was so big you can't believe it. Great collection
Santiago Gallay | Jul 15, 2018
Nice place and full collections... price $50 per person. 15 July 2018
Suvendu Das | Jul 9, 2018
The "General Museum of La Plata" was created by a decree of the Government of the province of Buenos Aires on September 19, 1884 , based on a project of the collector Francisco Pascasio Moreno (1852-1919) who served as Director until 1906 The first collections came from the Anthropological Museum of Buenos Aires created in 1877, with heritage donated by Moreno himself. Dependent of the Provincial Ministry of Public Works, it opened its doors to the public in 1888. In its first years, the objectives of the Institution were linked, on the one hand, to the assembly of exhibitions of natural history, anthropology, archeology and fine arts to contribute to the general education of the inhabitants of the province . On the other hand, to the development of expeditions in the interior of the country , with the double purpose of having study collections and identifying natural resources susceptible of economic exploitation by the State and individuals. Towards the middle of the 1890s, with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Institution committed itself to the question of limits with Chile, making available to the National Government the human and material resources to carry out topographic expeditions along the Andes mountains. At that time, the five main sections of the Museum were also created : Anthropology, Geology, Zoology, Paleontology and Botany. They were in charge of foreign scholars, and had the function of classifying the collections for exhibition and study, making expeditions and publishing scientific works in the Magazine and the Annals of the Museum of La Plata, created in 1890. In 1906, the Museum, led by Samuel Lafone Quevedo (1835-1920), became administratively dependent on the National University of La Plata, adding to the original functions of public exhibition and research, academic training, under the general name of Institute of the Museum-Faculty of Natural Sciences . Since then, the Museum and the Faculty functioned in an imbricated manner, sharing spaces within the building inaugurated in 1888, dedicated to research or teaching. There the School of Natural Sciences (1912) functioned, which included those ofGeological Sciences, Biological Sciences, Anthropological Sciences, Geographical Sciences, Chemistry and School of Drawing Annex . The last three were separated from the Institution at the beginning of the 1920s, under the management of Luis María Torres (1878-1937), the others remaining under the joint name of the Higher School of Natural Sciences (1932). It was established at the same time, the internal reorganization of the institution based on Scientific Departments. In its beginnings, in 1906, university education adopted the general model of naturalist, through the development of study programs aimed at providing students with basic training in all fields of natural sciences. The curriculum was divided into 15 subjects, which eventually increased to 20, of four years, plus one year of specialization through the completion of the Doctoral Thesis in one of the four planned orientations - Anthropology, Botany, Geology and Zoology- , conferring a single title, that of Doctor in Natural Sciences. During the first three decades, the enrollment of students was very low. Between the doctorates prevailed those of Biological Sciences, fundamentally Zoology and Botany, situation that was reverted in Geology, from beginnings of the decade of 1940, with the system of scholarships to students instituted by YPF. The career of Natural Sciences was divided from that moment into Geological Sciences and Biological Sciences, subsequently creating the title of Bachelor in the areas of Biology, Geology and Anthropology . On July 19, 1949, by a decree of the National Executive Power, the Institute of the Museum-Faculty of Natural Sciences with its structure of School, was finally transformed into the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Museum. .
Wander is a travel search engine that allows you to find the perfect travel destination that fits your budget and preferences.