De Sweachmermolen, Langweer

Langweer, Netherlands

De Sweachmermolen, Langweer

De Sweachmermolen is a smock mill between Langweer and Boornzwaag, Friesland, Netherlands which was built in 1782. The mill has two functions: it is a drainage mill and a corn mill. It has been restored to working order as a drainage mill and is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 13241.

De Sweachmermolen was built in 1782 as a corn mill for Frans Julius Johan van Eijsinga. It was later converted so that it could also drain the Grote Polder Langweer, Dijken en Boornzwaag. The mill previously had four patent sails. On 12 August 1925, an electric motor was installed in the mill to drive the Archimedes' screw. The mill then became derelict. Through T.A.J. van Eijsinga, an influential member of De Hollandsche Molen (English: Dutch Mills Society), the mill was acquired in 1949 by Stichting tot instandhouding van de Langweerder molen (English: Society for the preservation of Langeweer Mill). De Sweachmermolen is now used as a holiday home, the base and lowest storey of the smock having been converted. Income from letting the mill is put towards its upkeep. In 1998, the mill was restored so that it could again pump water. It is not planned to restore the milling machinery. De Sweachmermolen is listed as being held in reserve for use in times of emergency. It is the only combined corn and drainage windmill in Friesland.



Accommodations near De Sweachmermolen, Langweer

View more options near De Sweachmermolen, Langweer0

Nearby Tours & Activities