Anglian Tower

Leeds, United Kingdom

Anglian Tower

The Anglian Tower is the lower portion of an Early Medieval tower on the city walls of York in the English county of North Yorkshire. It is located on the south-west (interior) face of the City walls, currently in the grounds of York City Library and accessible on foot both from there and the Museum Gardens.

The Anglian tower was first discovered by workmen making a tunnel from St Leonard's Place to Mint Yard in 1839. It was probably located again in 1934 by the City Engineer. Limited excavation was undertaken in 1969, 10 feet (3.0 m) above the modern street level and confined between the Mediaeval town wall and the stable, only an area 25 feet (7.6 m) by 15 feet (4.6 m) being exposed. The location of the tower places it between the conjectural locations of two Roman interval towers on the south-west side of the Roman fortress.



Accommodations near Anglian Tower

View more options near Anglian Tower0

Nearby Tours & Activities