Walker Iron Foundry

Leeds, United Kingdom

Walker Iron Foundry

The Walker Iron Foundry was founded in 1837 by John Walker of York (1801–23 June 1853) 'Iron & brass founder, bell-hanger & smith', at Dixon's Yard, Walmgate.

The son of William and Elizabeth Walker, of the Aldwark-Hungate area, John Walker began a 7-year bound apprenticeship to Thomas & Joseph Gibson, Ironmongers of Pavement, York on 25 March 1815. Thomas died, and after completing his indentures, Walker stayed with the firm. In 1824 he became a Freeman of York and by 1829 he had become Gibson's partner. He must have been a very industrious young man, since by November 1837 he had bought out the Gibson foundry at 33 Walmgate and set up his own business.



Accommodations near Walker Iron Foundry

View more options near Walker Iron Foundry0

Nearby Tours & Activities