GSO Stadium

Limassol, Cyprus

GSO Stadium

GSO Stadium or Gymnastic Club Olympia Stadium (Greek: Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Ολύμπια; Γ.Σ.Ο.) was a stadium in Limassol, Cyprus. In July 1892, a group of locals founded the gymnastics club "Olympia" (GSO), which is the oldest gymnastics club in Cyprus. The stadium was constructed in 1898 and opened in 1899 with the event of the 3rd Pancyprian Athletics Games. The gym then had a perimeter track about 300 meters and a capacity of 700 spectators. In 1902 horse racing competitions were held in the stadium, and in 1904 the first flower festival was organized. In 1908 the stadium held the first tennis matches. In 1910 a new 1000 spectators stand was built.

In 1925 the association organized the first Pan-Hellenic Athletics Games, and in 1929 the first island-wide school competition. In 1931 the Metropolitan Nicodemus Mylonas initiated the national uprising, known as 'Oktovriana'. In 1954, after a donation by the N. Lanitis family, a new entrance was erected, while additional wooden benches for 2000 spectators were added.



Accommodations near GSO Stadium

View more options near GSO Stadium0

Nearby Tours & Activities