Campo de Benfica

Lisbon, Portugal

Campo de Benfica

Campo de Benfica was a football grass field in Lisbon, Portugal. After Benfica absorbed Desportos de Benfica on 17 September 1916, it started using as headquarters, the facilities in Avenida Gomes Pereira, in the back there was a football field since 1914 which was used by some clubs in Lisbon which did not have their own, like GS Cruz Quebrada. Benfica celebrated with Empresa dos Melhoramentos de Benfica (EMB) - owner of the land where the field was located - an annual rent deal of 840$00 escudos, paid monthly in advance in the amount of 70$00 escudos.

Benfica then left Campo de Sete Rios. Stands with capacity of 10.000 and an additional tennis court were built. On 25 March 1919, Benfica played the first night football game in Portugal, with 1000 candles helped by 18 reflectors.



Accommodations near Campo de Benfica

View more options near Campo de Benfica0

Nearby Tours & Activities