St. George's Church, Lisbon

Lisbon, Portugal

St. George's Church, Lisbon

St George's Church is the only English-speaking Anglican congregation in Lisbon, Portugal. It is at Rua São Jorge 6, north of the Estrela Garden.

In 1654 a treaty between Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell of England and King John IV of Portugal (signed on his behalf by João Rodrigues de Sá e Menezes, Count of Penaguião) allowed English residents in Portugal to "profess their own Religion in private houses... and that finally a Place be allowed for them to bury their dead". A chaplaincy was established, with services held in the home of the British Envoy.



Accommodations near St. George's Church, Lisbon

View more options near St. George's Church, Lisbon0

Nearby Tours & Activities