Grosvenor Park, Chester

Liverpool, United Kingdom

Grosvenor Park, Chester

9.2

Grosvenor Park is a public park in the city of Chester, Cheshire, England (grid reference SJ412663). It consists of 20 acres (8.1 ha) of land overlooking the River Dee. It is regarded as one of the finest and most complete examples of Victorian parks in the North West of England, if not nationally. On 22 August 2013 the designation of the park was raised from Grade II in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens to Grade II*.

The land, which formerly consisted of fields, was given to the city by Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster. The Marquess also paid for the design of the park by Edward Kemp. It was laid out in 1865–66 and opened with great celebration in November 1867 although the Marquess was not able to attend. Grosvenor Park has recently undergone a £3.6 million restoration as part of the 'Parks for People' programme. The park received a £2.4 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, with additional funding from WREN and Cheshire West and Chester Council. The programme aimed to repair and restore some of the original features. A new building named the Activity Zone was built to serve local community activities and the Lodge was refurbished and converted for use as a cafe. The park was reopened in July 2014 by Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster and descendant of the original benefactor.




Accommodations near Grosvenor Park, Chester

View more options near Grosvenor Park, Chester

Nearby Tours & Activities