City Park Tivoli

Ljubljana, Slovenia

City Park Tivoli


Tivoli City Park (Slovene: Mestni park Tivoli) or simply Tivoli Park (Park Tivoli) is the largest park in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. It is located on the western outskirts of the Center District, stretching to the Šiška District to the north, the Vič District to the south, and the Rožnik District to the west. Several notable buildings and art works stand in the park. Since 1984, the park has been protected as part of Tivoli–Rožnik Hill–Šiška Hill Nature Park. It is home to a variety of bird species.

Tivoli Castle is a mansion and is the terminus of the Jakopič Promenade. Built in the 17th century atop the ruins of a previous Renaissance-period castle, the mansion was initially owned by the Jesuits. In the middle of the 19th century, it was renovated by Marshal Joseph Radetzky (1766–1858) in the Neoclassical style, giving it its present appearance. In 1864, Austrian sculptors in a Moravian foundry designed four cast-iron dogs that stand in front of the castle. In some older books they were attributed to the sculptor Anton Dominik Fernkorn (1813–1878). Because the dogs do not have tongues, it has been falsely rumoured that the sculptor Fernkorn committed suicide by shooting himself due to this mistake. An alpine-style building called the Švicarija ("Swissery", formerly the Hotel Tivoli) stands behind the mansion. It was completely restored in recent years and has now been transformed into a cultural centre. The Jesenko nature trail leads past it.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info

Accommodations near City Park Tivoli

View more options near City Park Tivoli

Nearby Tours & Activities