Congress Square

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Congress Square

9

Congress Square (Slovene: Kongresni trg) is one of the central squares in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

The square was built in 1821 at the site of the ruins of a medieval Capuchin monastery, which had been abolished during the reign of Habsburg Emperor Joseph II. The square was used for ceremonial purposes during the post-Napoleonic Congress of Ljubljana, after which it was named. After the congress, a park was laid out in the center of the square, which soon acquired the name Star Park (Slovene: Park Zvezda, German: Sternallee) due to its layout. During the communist period it was renamed Revolution Square (Slovene: Trg revolucije) and a few years later Liberation Square (Slovene: Trg osvoboditve), but the local population continued to use the old name. In 1990, it regained its original name.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Congress Square

View more options near Congress Square

Nearby Tours & Activities