Robba Fountain

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Robba Fountain

9

The Robba Fountain (Slovene: Robbov vodnjak), since the first half of the 20th century also known as the Fountain of the Three Carniolan Rivers (Vodnjak treh kranjskih rek), is the fountain that stands in front of Ljubljana Town Hall at Town Square in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. It was originally made in 1751 by the Italian sculptor Francesco Robba and is one of the city's most recognisable symbols.

The fountain was commissioned to Francesco Robba in 1743, but was unveiled only in 1751. In its creation, Robba was inspired by Bernini's Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of the Four Rivers) at Piazza Navona during a visit to Rome, but he modelled it after Fontana del Pantheon, the fountain by Filippo Barigioni at Piazza della Rotonda. In 2006, the original fountain was renovated and moved into the National Gallery, whereas at Town Square it has been replaced by a replica.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Robba Fountain

View more options near Robba Fountain

Nearby Tours & Activities