Fulham Broadway

London, United Kingdom

Fulham Broadway

8.4

Walham Green is the historic name of a village in the parish of Fulham in the County of Middlesex. It was located between the hamlet of North End (now renamed West Kensington) to the north, and Parsons Green to the south. To the east it was bounded by Counter's Creek, the traditional boundary with the parish of Chelsea and to the south-east is Sands End. In the 19th century, the creek became the Kensington Canal, soon to be replaced by the West London Railway, and Walham Green acquired its own parish church of St John in 1828 on the site of the village pond. With the arrival of the District Railway and urbanisation, the heart of Fulham shifted from its centuries-old, All Saints parish church on the Thames and the area of Fulham High Street to Walham Green, the centre of which was subsequently renamed Fulham Broadway. From 1880 to 1952, Fulham Broadway tube station was called Walham Green. All that remains of the village's former identity is the tree-lined street called, 'Walham Grove'.

Within the area is the old athletics stadium of Stamford Bridge, now home to Chelsea F.C.




Accommodations near Fulham Broadway

View more options near Fulham Broadway

Nearby Tours & Activities