Gurdwara Sahib Woolwich

London, United Kingdom

Gurdwara Sahib Woolwich

The Gurdwara Sahib Woolwich is a Sikh gurdwara in central Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, South East London. It was built in 1814–16 as a Methodist church and converted into a Sikh place of worship in the late 1970s. The main hall is Grade II-listed; the former Soldier's Institute and Sunday School next door, now in use as a langar, is not.

The gurdwara and langar are situated on an irregular quadrilateral plot of about 1500 m2 (0.37 acre) on the corner of Calderwood Street and John Wilson Street (part of the A205 or South Circular Road). The plot is at the northside of Calderwood Street, which at this point slopes down towards the east. This street was called William Street at the time when the Methodist church was built. It was renamed Calderwood Street in 1938, after a local industrialist and Woolwich Polytechnic chairman. The south-eastern section of Calderwood Street is part of Bathway Quarter, a designated conservation area; the gurdwara and langar are not.



Accommodations near Gurdwara Sahib Woolwich

View more options near Gurdwara Sahib Woolwich0

Nearby Tours & Activities