Rotunda, Woolwich

London, United Kingdom

Rotunda, Woolwich

The Rotunda on Woolwich Common, in south-east London was originally a very large wooden rotunda, designed by the Whig architect, John Nash. Intended as a temporary structure, it was erected on the grounds of Carlton House, in 1814, for use as an additional reception room for the many events hosted there by the Prince Regent in celebration of the allied victory over Napoleon. The first event held in the wooden rotunda was a magnificent celebration in honor of the Duke of Wellington, in July 1814. The Regent ordered the removal of the rotunda from the grounds at Carlton House, in 1818. John Nash had hoped it would be converted into a church. However, the Regent directed that it be re-erected on Woolwich Common for use as a museum by the Royal Artillery. When the building was re-erected in Woolwich, in 1820, its original architect, John Nash, turned it into a permanent structure with a lead roof and central supporting pillar. In 1973 the Rotunda was designated as a Grade II* listed building.



Accommodations near Rotunda, Woolwich

View more options near Rotunda, Woolwich0

Nearby Tours & Activities