Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich

London, United Kingdom

Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich

Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich is a barracks of the British Army which forms part of Woolwich Garrison. The Royal Regiment of Artillery had its headquarters here from 1776 until 2007, when it was moved to Larkhill Garrison.

In 1716 two permanent field companies of Artillery (each of a hundred men) were formed by royal Warrant and placed under the command of the Master-General of the Ordnance. They were initially quartered in the Warren, about half a mile from the current barracks site. By 1771 the Royal Regiment of Artillery numbered over 2,400, over a third of whom were usually quartered in Woolwich. Having outgrown its barracks in the Warren, the regiment looked to establish itself in new quarters elsewhere in Woolwich.



Accommodations near Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich

View more options near Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich0

Nearby Tours & Activities