St Thomas of Canterbury Church, Fulham

London, United Kingdom

St Thomas of Canterbury Church, Fulham

St Thomas of Canterbury Church, also known as St Thomas's, Rylston Road, is a Roman Catholic parish church in Fulham, central London. Designed in the Gothic Revival style by Augustus Pugin in 1847, the building is Grade II* listed with Historic England. It stands at 60 Rylston Road, Fulham, next to Pugin's Grade II listed presbytery and churchyard and St Thomas's primary school, also largely by Pugin, close to the junction with Lillie Road in the Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

The church, founded by Elizabeth Bowden (1805-1896), widow of J. W. Bowden (1798-1844) in his memory, was begun in 1847 and is the only complete Pugin Church in London. The first purpose-built Roman Catholic place of worship in Fulham since the English Reformation, its stone was laid by Bishop Thomas Griffiths, Vicar Apostolic of the London District in 1847. After the latter's death that same year, the church was opened in 1848 by John Henry Newman. It was intended for the many Catholic families employed in the local market gardens.



Accommodations near St Thomas of Canterbury Church, Fulham

View more options near St Thomas of Canterbury Church, Fulham0

Nearby Tours & Activities