Castillo de San Cristobal

Los Campitos, Spain

Castillo de San Cristobal

8.6

Plaza de España (lit. Spain Square), is the largest square in the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and the Canary Islands (Spain). The square is located in the centre of town, 1.4 km north of the Auditorio de Tenerife. This square is considered one of the "main squares" of the island of Tenerife, together with the Plaza del Cristo de La Laguna in San Cristóbal de La Laguna and the Plaza de la Patrona de Canarias in Candelaria. It hosts an artificial lake fountain, a work of Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron.

The square was built in 1929 on the historic Castillo de San Cristóbal, a bastion for defending the island of piracy, currently there are only a few walls of the original building on display in a tunnel under the square. Recently the square was refurbished by the Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron. The Plaza de España is surrounded by the Palacio Insular de Tenerife, the Palacio de la Carta and the Plaza de la Candelaria. In the centre of the square stands Monumento a los Caídos (a tribute to the fallen in the Spanish Civil War).

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Castillo de San Cristobal

View more options near Castillo de San Cristobal

Nearby Tours & Activities