Lugano Cathedral

Lugano, Switzerland

Lugano Cathedral

8.8

Lugano Cathedral (Italian: Cattedrale di San Lorenzo) is a Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to Saint Lawrence in Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland. It was founded in the High Middle Ages but rebuilt in the late 15th century, with the façade completed in 1517. It is the seat of the Bishop of Lugano.

The church is known on this site from 818. In 1078 it was made a collegiate church, becoming a cathedral in 1888. The original Romanesque building was oriented the opposite way to the present church, as is shown by remains of the apse discovered under the current parvise. In the 15th century the church was expanded and the entrance moved to the present position, while the open roof was covered by a groin vaulted ceiling.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info



Accommodations near Lugano Cathedral

View more options near Lugano Cathedral

Nearby Tours & Activities