Casino Luxembourg

Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Casino Luxembourg

The Casino Luxembourg is a forum for contemporary art which was adapted and renovated in 1995 to fit its new role of housing temporary exhibitions of Luxembourg art. It opened in 1882 as the Casino Bourgeois, and was a centre for cultural and social events in addition to its gaming functions.

The Casino Bourgeois, designed by Luxembourg architects Pierre and Paul Funck, was completed in 1882. In addition to its gaming activities, the casino also had a reading room, a restaurant and a number of large halls which were used for lectures, balls, plays, shows, concerts and art exhibitions. Franz Liszt gave his last piano recital at the casino on 19 July 1886. During the First World War, the building served as the Kaiser's headquarters. In 1959, after being purchased by the State, the building was rented out to the Cultural Circle of the European Communities and became known as the Foyer Européen. In 1959, a large glass and steel pavilion designed by René Maillet was added to the south side of the building.



Accommodations near Casino Luxembourg

View more options near Casino Luxembourg0

Nearby Tours & Activities