Église Saint-Pothin

Lyon, France

Église Saint-Pothin

The Église Saint-Pothin (English: Church of Saint Pothinus) is a Roman Catholic church located in Lyon, France. The parish church sits on the left bank of the Rhône, in the 6th arrondissement of Lyon, at the Place Edgar Quinet. By order of 2 May 2007, the whole church was included in the supplementary inventory of monuments historiques.

The creation of the parish of St. Pothin and the construction of the church became part of the urban development of Les Brotteaux district from the late 18th century. The progressive urbanization of the area followed a plan made by Jean-Antoine Morand (1727-1794), an architect in Lyon, and Saint-Pothin was one of the structural elements of the new plan. A chapel was opened in 1818, but Les Brotteaux district decided to create a branch of La Guillotière district placed under the patronage of St. Pothin, due to pressure from the notables and responding to the special concern of the Archbishop of Lyon. The royal ordinance of 21 June 1826 allowed this project to be materialized, thus facilitating the project of church construction and financing. The parish boundaries were established in 1827, however. Canuts smashed the doors of the old church in 1831.



Accommodations near Église Saint-Pothin

View more options near Église Saint-Pothin0

Nearby Tours & Activities