Rue Burdeau

Lyon, France

Rue Burdeau

The Rue Burdeau is a street located in the 1st arrondissement of Lyon, at the bottom of the slopes of La Croix-Rousse, just above the Église Saint-Polycarpe, between the Saône and the Rhône. It leads at one side to the Montée Saint-Sébastien and at the other to the Jardin des Plantes and crosses the montée de la Grande Côte which renovation is completed. The street belongs to the zone classified as World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

The site was used as gardens or vineyards from the 13th century belonging to the family Chivrier. In 1566, a wealthy Italian, Laurent Capponi bought the land and established a house then bought in 1616 by the Oratorians. The street was drawn in the late eighteenth century, pierced in 1810, extended in 1926 and first named rue du Commerce on 18 June 1829 because it was regularly crossed by silk workers. The street then ended at the level of the montée de la Grande Côte. In 1858, the street was extended to the Jardin des Plantes, created at the same time, and the south of the ruins of the amphitheater were destroyed. The Cour du Soleil, named after the Grolier, the 'Lords of the Sun', who owned the place from 1630 to 1688, was then incorporated into the street on 17 February 1855 and extended in 1860. Its current name was assigned by the municipal council of 8 January 1895 in honor of politician and professor of philosophy Auguste Burdeau who was born in the street in 1851. In 1848, the Club de l'Émancipation was installed at No. 12.



Accommodations near Rue Burdeau

View more options near Rue Burdeau0

Nearby Tours & Activities