Rue Lainerie

Lyon, France

Rue Lainerie

The Rue Lainerie is an ancient cobbled pedestrian street of the Vieux Lyon quarter, in the 5th arrondissement of Lyon. From north to south, it connects two quarters, Saint-Paul and Saint-Jean, and more precisely the Place du Change and the Place Saint-Paul. There is currently an academy of music (section Vieux Lyon) at No. 1 and many hotels. The street is served by many buses (29-30-31-44-184), two metro stations and a velo'v station. It belongs to the zone classified as World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

The layout of the Rue Lainerie dates back the early Middle Ages and was completed in 1911. There are several possible spellings : Rue de l'Asnerie or Rue Laisnerie, these names do not refer to the trade or craft of wool, but to a stable for asses which was in the street when it was created. During the Renaissance, the street was inhabited by wealthy people: for example, in No. 14 lived in a wealthy family of magistrates, the Palmier, later replaced by Claude de Bourg who modernized the street in 1510. Thus, the architecture of the street offers a mixture of gothism and Renaissance style. In the eighteenth century, the community of Jansenists tailors were at No.5. The school of the street was built in the 19th century. In its northern part, at the junction with the Rue François Vernay, several old houses were razed in 1911, under the mandate of President Édouard Herriot, during development works of the district which included the construction of the Gare de Lyon-Saint-Paul (1874) and the Palais de Bondy, housing the Salle Molière (1904).



Accommodations near Rue Lainerie

View more options near Rue Lainerie0

Nearby Tours & Activities