Ħal Ġinwi temple

malta, Malta

Ħal Ġinwi temple

The Ħal Ġinwi temple (Maltese pronunciation: [ħalˈʒɪnwɪ]) was a prehistoric megalithic temple site located southeast of Żejtun, Malta dating back to the Ġgantija phase (3600–3200 BCE). The site is located in an area bearing the same name, or alternatively Ħal Ġilwi, which is known for its archaeological remains, and lies around one kilometre from the Tas-Silġ multi-period sanctuary and archaeological site.

Remains of the temple at Ħal Ġinwi were found in the vicinity of San Niklaw chapel, to the right of the main road from Żejtun to Marsaxlokk, between Żejtun and the Tas-Silġ temple. The site is today represented by a few ashlar blocks still visible in a field wall. More remains may survive beneath the soil, since its excavation was superficial. The site was originally excavated by Albert V. Laferla in 1917. Architect Albert E. Vassallo drew the site during Laferla’s archaeological excavations. Themistocles Zammit, however, interpreted the remains as a possible domestic dwelling. John D. Evans suggested that the megalithic structures resemble more a dual temple site.



Accommodations near Ħal Ġinwi temple

View more options near Ħal Ġinwi temple0

Nearby Tours & Activities