Marsaxlokk Parish Church

malta, Malta

Marsaxlokk Parish Church

9

The Church of Our Lady of Pompei is a Roman Catholic parish church located in the fishing village of Marsaxlokk in Malta.

The parish of Marsaxlokk was established when fishermen started to build houses near the sea coast in order to save time on travelling. Thus at the end of the 19th century it was decided to build a church that would minister to the spiritual needs of the fishermen and their families. Prior to becoming a parish, Marsaxlokk was part of the parish of Żejtun. The construction of the church started in 1890. It was built as a fulfilment of a promise made by Marquess Rosalia Apap Viani Testaferrata after she was saved from a violent storm at sea. The church was originally built in a rectangular form with the designs attributed to Dun Ġużepp Diacono. Marsaxlokk became an independent parish in 1897. The first parish priest was Reverend Salv Delia. In the 1900s the church was enlarged altering the shape to that of a Latin cross with the addition of east end transepts and a choir. In the late 1920s a new west front was constructed under the direction of architect Giuseppe Lia.




Accommodations near Marsaxlokk Parish Church

View more options near Marsaxlokk Parish Church

Nearby Tours & Activities