Annunciation Church, Balzan

Malta, Malta

Annunciation Church, Balzan

The Parish Church of the Annunciation is a Roman Catholic parish church located in the village of Balzan, Malta.

The original church of the Annunciation dated back to the 14th century. On 14 August 1655 Balzan became an independent parish and the church was chosen as the parish church. On December 23, 1669 the cornerstone of the new church was laid. The church was built in the form of a Latin cross. Works were completed by 1695 and the church was blessed that year on January 23 by Bishop Davide Cocco Palmieri and consecrated by Bishop Vincenzo Labini on October 7, 1781. A belfry was also added in 1708 which today includes 6 bells made in Annecy, France, by Fonderie Paccard. The largest bell of this set weighs about 4 tons and is the third largest bell in Malta. The bell was blessed and installed in January 1949. An electric clock was added in 1970.



Accommodations near Annunciation Church, Balzan

View more options near Annunciation Church, Balzan0

Nearby Tours & Activities