Church of the Nativity of Mary, Naxxar

Malta, Malta

Church of the Nativity of Mary, Naxxar

The Church of the Nativity of Mary is a Roman Catholic baroque parish church located in Naxxar, Malta.

The Naxxar parish church was one of the 10 parishes, total of 12 when including the parishes of Mdina Cathedral and St Lawrence's church in Birgu, found to be existing by Bishop Senatore De Mello in 1436 and the villages of Mosta and Għargħur were subject to it. De Mello listed it as one of the 12 parishes of Malta and it was the first parish dedicated to Our Lady after that of the old cathedral in Mdina. In 1575, the parish of Naxxar had under its control a total of 36 churches – 14 in Naxxar, 5 in Għargħur, 12 in Mosta and 5 in the neighbourhood of these villages. The present church was built between 1616 and 1630 when there were 1200 inhabitants in Naxxar and it was felt that a larger church was needed. The design was made by Tommaso Dingli, one of the leading architects of the time. The parish priest was Father Gakbu Pace. The choir and the area around it was redesigned in 1691 to the design of Lorenzo Gafà, the same architect who had designed the Mdina cathedral. The parish church was solemnly consecrated by Archbishop Paul Alphéran de Bussan on 11 December 1732.



Accommodations near Church of the Nativity of Mary, Naxxar

View more options near Church of the Nativity of Mary, Naxxar0

Nearby Tours & Activities