Lion Fountain (Floriana)

Malta, Malta

Lion Fountain (Floriana)

The Lion Fountain (Maltese: Il-funtana tal-iljun), also known as the Vilhena Fountain, is a Baroque fountain located in St Anne Square in Floriana, Malta. It was installed in 1728 by Grand Master António Manoel de Vilhena, and it was relocated a few metres from its original location in the 1950s.

The Lion Fountain was built in 1728 by Grand Master António Manoel de Vilhena, according to a commemorative inscription on the fountain itself. It was installed shortly after Vilhena had declared Floriana a suburb of Valletta. It was supplied by water from the Wignacourt Aqueduct, and for many years it was the only source of water for the area's inhabitants.



Accommodations near Lion Fountain (Floriana)

View more options near Lion Fountain (Floriana)0

Nearby Tours & Activities