Burlington Street drill hall, Manchester

Manchester, United Kingdom

Burlington Street drill hall, Manchester

The Burlington Street drill hall is a former military installation in Greenheys, Manchester. Since the 1940s it has been used by the Victoria University of Manchester for physical education. More recently it has been used as a Physical Education Centre and Islamic Prayer Hall by the university.

The building was designed as the headquarters of the 4th Volunteer Battalion, The Manchester Regiment and completed in 1885. This unit became the 7th Battalion, The Manchester Regiment (Territorial Force) in 1908. The battalion was mobilised at the drill hall in August 1914 before being deployed to Gallipoli and, ultimately, to the Western Front. The battalion amalgamated with the 6th Battalion to form the 6th/7th Battalion at the Stretford Road drill hall in Hulme in 1921.



Accommodations near Burlington Street drill hall, Manchester

View more options near Burlington Street drill hall, Manchester0

Nearby Tours & Activities