Salford Town Hall

Manchester, United Kingdom

Salford Town Hall

Salford Town Hall is a structure in Greater Manchester which was once the municipal building of Salford, and shortly afterwards also became a court. Following the abolition of the County Borough of Salford it continued to function as Salford Magistrates' Court until 2011, when that body merged with the equivalent court of Manchester to form the Manchester and Salford Magistrates' Court. The property is now owned privately. It is a Grade II Listed Building, having been so designated on 31 January 1952.

The foundation stone for the town hall was laid by Lord Bexley, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster in April 1825. The building in which the building now stands was named after him. It was designed by Richard Lane in the Neo-classical style and completed in 1827. The building, which was originally constructed as a market hall, became the Salford's town hall in 1835 and, additionally, a courthouse in 1840. The building was expanded three times in the nineteenth century.



Accommodations near Salford Town Hall

View more options near Salford Town Hall0

Nearby Tours & Activities