St Chad's, Cheetham Hill

Manchester, United Kingdom

St Chad's, Cheetham Hill

The Oratory Church of Saint Chad's, Manchester (Manchester Oratory for short) is a Grade II* listed Catholic church in Cheetham Hill, Manchester, England. It was constructed between 1846 and 1847, on the east side of Cheetham Hill Road. The parish functions under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Salford.

St Chad's is the Catholic mother-church of Manchester, tracing its origins back to the 1770s. With the legacy of £200 from the will of the Revd Edward Helme (the first resident Catholic priest since the Reformation) a chapel dedicated to St Chad was built on Rook Street off Market Street in 1776 (now lost under new buildings). The Revd Roland Broomhead became the first Rector 1776-1820, and built new chapels of St Mary Mulberry Street and St Augustine, Granby Row. He died shortly after the opening of the latter, after which St Chad's became chapel-of-ease to the new church. However, due to a growing need, it became an independent mission again in 1835 when Fr William Turner, who would later become the first Bishop of Salford, was appointed to take charge. He was succeeded in 1842 by Fr Robert Croskell, later to be the second Provost and Vicar General of the Diocese. The Rook Street chapel was sold in 1846 to be converted into a warehouse.



Accommodations near St Chad's, Cheetham Hill

View more options near St Chad's, Cheetham Hill0

Nearby Tours & Activities