Mandelieu-la-Napoule, France

Travel to Mandelieu-la-Napoule

Mandelieu-la-Napoule (French pronunciation: ​[mɑ̃dəljølanapul]; Occitan: Mandaluec la Napola; locally spelled Mandelieu-La Napoule) is a commune in the Alpes-Maritimes department of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region in Southeastern France. Located on the French Riviera, just to the southwest of Cannes and northeast of Théoule-sur-Mer, it had a population of 22,452 in 2017.

It is known for the Château de la Napoule, a fortified castle of the 14th century. In the 20th century, Henry Clews Jr (son of the wealthy New York banker Henry Clews) and his wife Marie Clews, entirely renovated the château which they then inhabited. Henry Clews Jr was a painter and sculptor whose work still fills the castle, which is now run as a non-profit arts foundation by his descendants. The château was once an ancient foundation, then a medieval fortress of the Counts of Villeneuve. Today the Roman Tower (4th century) and the Saracen Tower (11th century) are all that remain of the château that was destroyed during the French Revolution. The château designed by the Clews has cloister, terrace overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, Gothic dining room, and studio. In the basement of a tower at the château the remains of Henry (1876–1937) and Marie (1878–1959) are interred in two tombs that Henry designed and sculpted.



Accommodations in Mandelieu-la-Napoule

There are 173 options for staying in Mandelieu-la-Napoule.
Check out the deals we offer for lodging in Mandelieu-la-Napoule.


Mandelieu-la-Napoule Tours & Activities