Mistley Towers

Manningtree, United Kingdom

Mistley Towers

8.4

Mistley Towers are the twin towers of the now demolished Church of St. Mary the Virgin at Mistley in Essex (sometimes known as Mistley Thorn(e) Church). The original Georgian parish church on the site had been built in classical style early in the 18th century following the death of Richard Rigby Esquire. Later in that century there was a grandiose plan by his son, the wealthy politician Richard Rigby, to transform Mistley Thorn into a spa town.

Rigby wished to see a church from the windows of his mansion and a suitably grand church was required for the affluent visitors expected to patronise the new spa. Thus in 1776, the renowned architect Robert Adam was commissioned to enhance the church. His design was in the neoclassical style, with a tower at both the east and the west ends of the church, and full height porticos to the north and south of the nave.

Thumbnail image credited to Additional info


Accommodations near Mistley Towers

View more options near Mistley Towers

Nearby Tours & Activities