Baldwin Spencer Building

Melbourne, Australia

Baldwin Spencer Building

The Baldwin Spencer Building, also called Building 113, is a university teaching facility that serves as a student service centre, located at 152-292 Grattan Street, The University of Melbourne, Parkville Campus, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Built between 1887 and 1888, the building was initially called the Biology Building. In 1920 the School of Biology was renamed the School of Zoology and the building was renamed in honour of Walter Baldwin Spencer, the University's first Professor of Biology. Spencer submitted designs for the building that were finalised by architects, Joseph Reed, Anketell Henderson and Francis Smart who formed a partnership known as Reed Henderson and Smart. The building is completed in the Gothic Revival architectural style with distinctive elements such as rough-hewn freestone coursed walls that can be compared with similar designs by the same architects for nearby buildings such as Ormond College and the earlier Old Pathology Building. The Baldwin Spence Building was listed on the Victorian Heritage Register on 24 June 1992.



Accommodations near Baldwin Spencer Building

View more options near Baldwin Spencer Building0

Nearby Tours & Activities