Church of All Nations (Melbourne)

Melbourne, Australia

Church of All Nations (Melbourne)

The Church of All Nations, formerly known as the Wesleyan Methodist Church, first held religious services on Sunday 6 March 1870. Located on 180 Palmerston Street, Carlton in Melbourne, Australia, the bluestone-covered church was designed by English architect Joseph Reed of Reed & Barnes. Mr Johns Pidgon was contracted to build the Romanesque building after the church received a loan of £300 for its construction when the previous (Stucco) brick chapel beside it became too small for the growing congregation.

After designing almost every major church building in Carlton (including St Jude's, the Congregational Church and the Church of the Sacred Heart), Joseph Reed's Gothic design suffered two setbacks. The first design announcement in 1857 was communally opposed, and the Wesleyan Church Architecture article guide published by the Wesleyan Chronicle changed the style and forms of the building from a Roman Gothic pageantry to a more Romanesque Norman architectural language.



Accommodations near Church of All Nations (Melbourne)

View more options near Church of All Nations (Melbourne)0

Nearby Tours & Activities