Frank Tate Building

Melbourne, Australia

Frank Tate Building

The Frank Tate Building, also known as Building 189, is a student centre of The University of Melbourne, Parkville Campus, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Designed by Percy Edgar Everett, it was built between 1939 and 1940 as an expansion of the Melbourne Teachers' College, housed in the '1888 Building' to the south. In 1994 the Melbourne Teachers' College relocated and the building became part of the main Melbourne University Parkville Campus. In 2010 it was refurbished as a learning centre by COX Architects, designed to allow a multitude of different user groups to configure the space according to their individual requirements.

Designed by Percy Everett in his capacity as Chief Architect of the Victorian Public Works Department as a notable example of the Art Deco style, the building combines horizontal massing (now obscured by the raised north plaza), with details emphasising the vertical, all in cream brick with pale cream painted rendered detailing. The T shaped plan is broad at the south end, where the windows are grouped vertically in panels featuring narrow almost Tudor vertical ribbing, similar to the earlier Chemistry Building, also by Everett, and bold curved glass brick corners. The long north wing has a semi-circular end, and is subdivided by projecting vertical piers, like stylised Gothic buttresses.



Accommodations near Frank Tate Building

View more options near Frank Tate Building0

Nearby Tours & Activities