GES-2 (Moscow)

Moscow, Russia

GES-2 (Moscow)

GES-2 (Russian: ГЭС-2), also known as MGES-2 and Tramvaynaya (Russian: Трамвайная, or Tram power station) – is a decommissioned power station on the Bolotnaya Embankment, in the Yakimanka District of Moscow. Originally launched in 1907, it was the second major power station built in Moscow. GES-2 operated from 1907 to 2014. After its closure, GES-2 was sold to the V-A-C Foundation, who initiated a restoration and renovation project to convert the main building and surrounding area into a new cultural venue for the city of Moscow. GES-2 is being redesigned by Renzo Piano Building Workshop.

Built between 1904 and 1907, GES-2 was originally called Tramvaynaya (Russian: Трамвайная, or Tram power station) as it was built to power the city tram system. It was the second major power station built in Moscow.



Accommodations near GES-2 (Moscow)

View more options near GES-2 (Moscow)0

Nearby Tours & Activities