Türkentor (Munich)

Munich, Germany

Türkentor (Munich)

The Türkentor (Turks' Gate) is a gatehouse in Munich. It is the only surviving part of the Türkenkaserne (Turk's barracks), built in 1826 for the Royal Bavarian Infantry Lifeguards Regiment. The barracks and remaining gatehouse were named after the Türkenstraße on which they were located, which was in turn named after the Türkengraben channel dug along the Kurfürstenstraße by Turkish prisoners of war during the German states' 18th century wars with the Ottoman Empire to provide a waterway as part of the North Munich Canal System (Nordmünchner Kanalsystem) linking the Munich Residenz with the Schleissheim Palace.



Accommodations near Türkentor (Munich)

View more options near Türkentor (Munich)

Nearby Tours & activities