Old Town Hall, Munich

Munich, Germany

Old Town Hall, Munich

9

The Old Town Hall (German Altes Rathaus), until 1874 the domicile of the municipality, serves today as a building for representative purposes for the city council in Munich. The Old Town Hall bounds the central square Marienplatz on its east side.

The building, documented for the first time in 1310, had its Grand Hall (Großer Saal) constructed in 1392/1394. The former Talburg Gate (Talburgtor) of the first city wall serves as spire. The Old Town Hall was re-designed in late-gothic style by Jörg von Halsbach 1470–1480. The Grand Hall was decorated by the Morris dancers, created by Erasmus Grasser. After alterations of the facade during the Renaissance and again in the Baroque the building was restored in neo-gothic style 1861–1864. In 1874 the municipality moved to the New Town Hall.




Accommodations near Old Town Hall, Munich

View more options near Old Town Hall, Munich

Nearby Tours & Activities